I am so excited to have such a lovely journal! I have never kept a diary, so let me begin by telling you something about myself.
My name is Elmira, but most of my aquaintences call my Mira. I am a parlor boarder at St. Claire's Finishing School for Girls. I do love attending school here at St. Claire's, but I also miss my family. Especially today.

Today, the first day of spring in 1880 is my 14th birthday! My wonderful headmistress, Sister Bernadette, and all my friends and teachers had planned a lovely surprise party! The fun started this morning. For the first time, my dear maid put my hair up...just like a young lady! Although I am not yet quite grown, I feel so grown up with my hair pulled up in a lovely style like Mama's! Mama had secretly sent some beautiful silver hair combs to dress my hair with and I do love them!
My dear Papa sent my a wonderful new doll! I suppose I am really growing quite too old for dolls, so this will likely be my last doll. It makes me a bit sad, but I will enjoy her all the same. Besides, Mama still has all her dolls, so I think I will always keep mine too. My new doll's name is Minuet and she came all the way from France! The other girls all love her and we took turns holding her and planning wonderful things to sew for her. I certainly don't mind sharing her with my dear friends here.
Well, that is not much for a first entry I suppose, but the candles are burning down and I find myself growing quite tired. Tomorrow is Sunday and we girls must rise quite early to attend Mass. So, goodnight my dear diary and goodnight my dear Minuet. I will see you again when the morning bells toll.